Week 1 (1/5 and 1/6): What does it mean to borrow symbols of another culture?
- Project and Class overview.
- Visit to the Material Library
- Presentation of Jim’s Work
- 1/6 – Rachelle Girard, former Peace Corps volunteer stationed in Morocco
- 5-Point Star Pattern drawing (due 1/6): See post: star pattern designs. Assignment will also be explained in detail during class
- Readings (due 1/6): (both pdfs available here: Edith Wharton gets uncomfortable “In Morocco” and Employing Art Along With Ambassadors
- Linking Two Words (due 1/13): From a list given in class, choose two words to research. Present your two words to the class in any manner (visually, a brief oral presentation, keynote/powerpoint). The goal is to show a connection/synthesis between the two words.
- Readings: (due 1/13): Contemplating Islamic Patterns, THE IMPACT OF VISUAL IMAGES ON NON-U.S. CITIZENS’ ATTITUDES ABOUT THE UNITED STATES and “Sitings of Public Art:Integration Versus Intervention”
- Negation drawing (due 1/12): see post: Opposite Day. Drawing from the sense of Nationalism you most identify with, make a drawing that is ultra-nationalistic. As Bayne pointed out, we are using the philosophy of “via negation;” looking at the wrong thing to do in hopes of arriving at the ‘right’ place.
WEDNESDAY (1/11): Ali: Fear Eats The Soul at 7pm, FLEET LIBRARY conference room (on the first floor); Dave will have pizza.
Week 2 (1/12 and 1/13): Who is the/our Audience?
- Presentations of Linking Two Words assignment and ‘Opposite Day’ drawing assignment.
- 1/12 – Awesome Tapes from Africa, Brian Shimkovitz (links within the blog are here: Brian Shimkovitz, Brian Shimkovitz’s Awesome Tapes From Africa and Brian Shimkovitz Awesome Tapes from Africa interview on 3RRR
- 1/13 – Katherine Bernhard (links within the blog are here: Katherine Bernhardt, Interview Magazine: Katherine Bernhardt and Katherine Bernhardt)
- scan one image from the reference books available at the library and send it to me by Tuesday.
- comment on the wordpress site (2 sentence minimum)
- reading: Lost Lords of the Sahara
Week 3 (1/19 and 20): Embassy Design in the ‘Age of Terrorism’
- 1/19 Art in Embassies and Architects from the Smith Group/Donnie Seale
Week 4 (1/26 and 1/27): 1-part mold and
- Studio Work and Individual Meetings
Week 5 (2/2 and 2/3): title tba
- Studio Work
- 2/2 Chris Bardt
- 2/3 RISD Museum and Emily Peters
Week 6 (2/9 and 2/10): Final Reviews